Thursday, April 15, 2010

The end of things, the beginning of others (Blog)


I'm not usually the type to be sad when a class ends. Especially at the end of a particularly long and strenuous semester, I usually can't wait to high-tail it out of the classroom and spend my time doing other things.

However, this semester I took Opinion Writing. I knew that I was going to like the class because I tend to bee a very opinionated person (not shocking) and sometimes have a little trouble keeping my personal thoughts out of articles. Not always, but doing straight news-reporting can be tiresome and boring to me.

This past semester I was exposed to a new world of writing about whatever I wanted - and being able to say whatever I wanted! I could interject my own thoughts and feelings about my subjects, and didn't have to worry about keep my voice out of my pieces.

I loved it.

I asked my professor, Brian Thompson, if it would be possible to get an Advanced Opinion Writing class sometime in the future.

He laughed, and said no, but how exciting would it be to take that class?

"More opinions than you can handle!"

While I'm sad that the semester is over, I will miss my Opinion Writing class. I learned so many great things about the people in class with me. Katy Bass and her dad's tampon shopping experience at Costco. The time a baby pooped in Bo Culkeen's mouth. When Ant Perucci ran down a hill and jacked up his face as a kid. I can think of more, but I'm laughing to hard to type them out right now.

I'll miss the class, and the people. I learned so much about writing, and the beautiful little quirks everyone has.

This blog will continue, though. So stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment