Thursday, April 15, 2010

A little more serious (Blog)

If you know me, you know that I'm terribly sarcastic and the queen of cracking jokes at inappropriate times. I've always got something to say about everything, and while its useful sometimes, I'm glad I know how to turn it off most of the time.

A few weeks ago, a professor of mine told me that she thinks I hide behind behind funny so that others can't see how smart I am.

The more I think about it, she's right.

But then I asked myself- why wouldn't I want people to know that I'm smart? I certainly don't want everyone to think I'm stupid, but I guess it was a subconscious thing.

Since when was it not cool to be smart? And why are women sometimes looked down upon for being intelligent?

I think I can be both smart and funny, simultaneously. For a long time, I hid behind being funny, just because it's easy for me. But this professor made me realize that I shouldn't sell myself short. Everyone should know my full potential.

Thank you for making me realize that.

No comments:

Post a Comment